Spirent releases test suite for in-vehicle and V2V connectivity

April 18, 2017  - By 1 Comments

Spirent Communications has released its first WAVE-DSRC (Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments – Dedicated Short-Range Communications) conformance test solution that includes a set of tests required for U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) certification.

In late 2016, the USDOT proposed a rule that would require automakers to include vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) technologies in all new light-duty vehicles. The purpose is to make V2V devices “speak the same language” through standardized messaging deployed throughout the industry. Mandating that vehicles “talk” to each other enables a multitude of new crash-avoidance applications that could prevent hundreds of thousands of crashes each year.

Spirent’s TTsuite-WAVE-DSRC consists of four different protocol conformance test suites as per the USDOT Certification Operating Council (COC) conformance test specifications. It enables full test automation, includes frameworks for individual adaptation, and it is extensible with many plug-ins to meet constantly changing development requirements.

TTsuite-WAVE-DSRC

“We are carrying the ball as far as we can to realize the potential of transportation technology to save lives,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx on the NHTSA website. “This long promised V2V rule is the next step in that progression. Once deployed, V2V will provide 360-degree situational awareness on the road and will help us enhance vehicle safety.”

“Spirent is proud to support the activities of the U.S. Department of Transportation with modern solutions for testing in-vehicle and V2X connectivity,” said Thomas Schulze, director of marketing and business development for Spirent Communications. “Our engagement helps to improve the future of driving by ensuring high-quality products that provide more safety, more convenience and more infotainment options than ever before. We are committed to assisting our customers accelerate the development and deployment of automated vehicles.”

This new product release is targeted at companies supplying or testing WAVE-DSRC ITS technology. Spirent’s TTworkbench is a full-featured integrated test development and execution environment that offers a variety of functions including DUT monitoring and simulation. It includes support for all of the Automotive international standard test specifications, including the OPEN Alliance, AUTOSAR and Avnu Automotive test specifications.

GPS World staff

About the Author:

GPS World covers all aspects of the GPS and GNSS industry for our readers. To submit news, please send your release to gpsworld@gpsworld.com.

1 Comment on "Spirent releases test suite for in-vehicle and V2V connectivity"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

  1. William K. says:

    So the claim is that somehow vehicle to vehicle communications will make things safer. I would be interested in a detailed description of the exact mechanism of that increase, because I do not believe it will work that way. I do see that it would make the task of ticketing non-compliant drivers easy to automate. But since traffic rules are set up to protect the worst 10% of drivers it will certainly be hard on the other 90% of us.
    And it will be very interesting as soon as the systems start getting spoofed, which may take a day or two to get started. How will the wonderful systems deal with spoofing??

Post a Comment