ALK Technologies, provider of navigation and GeoLogistics software, announced at the Mobile World Congress that its CoPilot GPS navigation apps for smartphones and tablets will be available for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. The Mobile World Congress is being held in Barcelona, Spain, this week.
Designed as an alternative to traditional in-vehicle systems, the app provides voice-guided GPS navigation, with turn-by-turn guidance, comprehensive trip planning and automotive-grade street maps stored on-board the device for offline use. Integral real-time services include ActiveTraffic, Yelp, Wikipedia and Google Search to keep drivers fully informed on the road.
“We’ve always been fans of Microsoft’s mobile solutions,” said David Quin, head of consumer applications at ALK Technologies. “CoPilot was originally developed for Microsoft’s Pocket PC and pioneered mobile navigation on Windows Mobile, so we are delighted to announce a new app for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. The Windows family of mobile devices is rapidly gaining momentum as an alternative to Android and iOS, and provides an ideal platform for us to deliver a full-featured and driver friendly CoPilot navigation experience.”
“Windows Phone is backed by a vibrant app ecosystem with a variety of quality titles, like CoPilot, which help people enjoy a smartphone that is uniquely theirs,” said Todd Brix, general manager, Windows Phone Apps, Microsoft Corp. “CoPilot is a great example of the rich applications that people can enjoy on their Windows Phones.”
CoPilot for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 provides a suite of advanced navigation features, including:
- Clear, non-distracting 3D map views with lane arrows and signpost display.
- ActiveTraffic, which calculates the fastest routes and accurate arrival times based on live traffic flow information.
- CoPilot ClearTurn for navigating complex junctions.
- On-screen speed limit indicator and excess speed warnings.
- Advanced trip planning with a choice of three routes and drag-and-drop route editing.
- Comprehensive local search with integrated Yelp, Wikipedia and Google.
- Global map regions available to purchase and store on the device as required.
CoPilot is expected to launch on the Windows Phone Store and Windows Store in summer 2013 with the following versions: CoPilot Premium, a paid app which includes turn-by-turn navigation and 12 months ActiveTraffic; CoPilot GPS, a free offline trip-planning and maps app with in-app purchase for turn-by turn navigation; and CoPilot Truck for truck-specific GPS navigation. Pricing will be in-line with existing CoPilot apps for iOS and Android.